I often suggest to people, especially clients that they subscribe to the blog – but people don’t always know what that means so I thought I’d give a little tutorial. For me, subscribing to blogs (or to RSS feeds) is a HUGE timesaver. It means all the things I want to read updates on are saved in one place and I don’t have to trawl through my favourite sites to see what’s new.
I subscribe to around 50 sites from news items to friends updates to fellow photographers sites (stalker me? Noooooo!! ;-)) It could be a really long process clicking on each bookmarked site only to find there were no new updates… so that’s why I got me some google reader action. That means where ever I am, whatever computer I’m on I can sign in and see what’s new. There are lots of feed or RSS (which stands for really simple syndication) readers out there but if you have gmail then google reader is super easy (others include bloglines or newsgator or a whole load of others) and you don’t need a gmail account to sign up even.
So why should I subscribe?
- It saves you huge amounts of time by keeping track of all your favourite things in one place
- It’s free!
- You get to read all the blog yumminess without a massive effort on your part
So, how do you do it?
- You sign up with one of the afore mentioned feed readers – did I mention I love Google reader??!! (and if you sign up for reader you don’t have to have a gmail account)
- You add Kirsty Larmour Photography
- You add your other favourite blogs or sites with the RSS logo – the orange logo above
- You sign in every so often and get to sit back and read all the new stuff – voila!
Other ways of keeping up to date include signing up for the free email subscription service – fill in your email address and submit, then click the link that gets emailed to you to verify you really want to subscribe by email. Or, become a fan on Facebook – or do this as well because sometimes I may have interesting things or promotions that only get shared with my Facebook Fans.
Click on the RSS badge to subscribe, and click on the Facebook button and become a fan!
Oh, and subscribing to blogs can get addictive!!! Don’t say I didn’t warn you! Kirsty x